COVID-19 Information and protocols
KEEPING THE CALGARY FOOD BANK COMMUNITY HEALTHY.
LIVING WITH COVID-19
OPEN, SAFE, ACCESSIBLE
As the COVID-19 pandemic and its associated economic fallout continues, ensuring no one goes hungry is as important as ever. Everyone has different stresses and worries during this time; putting food on the table shouldn’t be one of them. We have heard from many clients that the food support they have received from us has made an incredible impact on their families, budgets, and mental health.
Hamper demand remains high as we continue to live with the pandemic. Processes we implemented in the early days and refined throughout the year remain in place including increased hamper sizes, relaxed eligibility for subsequent hampers, opening more volunteer shifts, and requiring masks and physical distancing inside the Food Bank.
July 6 | Mask update
With the announcement on July 5 from the City of Calgary regarding masks, we wanted to update the community with our COVID protocols. Our top priority is to keep our staff, volunteers, clients, guests, and agency partners safe so we can continue supporting our most vulnerable. Removing or reducing our safety protocols would increase risk unnecessarily, so out of an abundance of caution we are staying the course for a bit longer. We will continue to require masks at the Food Bank, and will re-evaluate at the end of July.
While we are hopeful of returning to ‘normal’ soon, we will remain cautiously optimistic as vaccinations continue. Even with the easing of restrictions in Alberta, there will still be a risk of outbreaks for some time since the virus is still present, including variants of concern, and the proportion of people fully vaccinated is still low, though happily, it’s increasing quickly. We sincerely appreciate your cooperation, understanding, and support.
EMERGENCY FOOD HAMPERS
Need food? We’re here for you! If you or someone you know needs food, call us at 403-253-2055 to book an appointment for hamper pick-up. You can also review our Need Food page for more information on how to get an Emergency Food Hamper. We are continuing with our adjusted hamper eligibility; clients need to only wait 10 days between hamper requests.
Validating IDs virtually makes it possible for a third party like a family member, friend, or volunteer service to pick up your hamper if you can’t. Find out more about this process.
We are currently accepting volunteers for a variety of roles. Restrictions remain in place due to COVID-19. Visit our Volunteer page for the most current information and to sign up.
Demand for emergency food hampers remains steady. Learn more about the many ways you can support us!
We are accepting food donations at our warehouse location (5000 11 Street SE). Visit us Monday through Thursday 8 am – 7:30 pm and Friday 8 am – 3 pm. Please use Door 3 (follow signs for Donations in the parking lot), ring the doorbell and wait at the bottom of the stairs.
Cash and cheque donations can be made at our Administration office (east end of the building) Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 4 pm. Physical distancing measures remain in place and masks are required inside the building.
To everyone who has supported us by donating, volunteering, or sharing our message – thank you! We wouldn’t be able to serve our clients without the generous support of the community.
- Please log into the WebDAD Agency Referral Portal to book your clients hampers. Our Hamper Request Phone Line is incredibly busy due to the scaled-down volunteer and staff workforce plus increased client demand.
- Agency Pickups are available Monday to Thursday 8 – 10:30 am, 11 am – 1:30 pm, 2 – 4:30 pm, 5 – 7:30 pm, and Friday 8 – 10:30 am, 11 am – 1:30 pm, 2 – 3:30 pm.
- Agency Pickups can also be scheduled from all of our satellite locations. Please follow instructions when Delivery ‘Agency Pickup’ is selected.
- Agency workers and clients must pick-up only at their assigned time. If they arrive earlier than their appointed time, they will be asked to move back in the queue. If they arrive later than their appointed time, they will be asked to reschedule their hamper(s) for another time or day.
- To practice social distancing protocols and to ensure the safety of our community, we are maintaining our drive-thru model of hamper distribution. Please make room in your vehicle BEFORE you arrive, ideally your trunk.
- Stay in your vehicle and present your ID at the window.
- If you are picking up on behalf of a client, please have a printout/electronic copy of your hamper confirmation. If you do not have a hamper confirmation, please be prepared to show some sort of agency identification such as an ID tag or business card.
CLIENTS CAN UTILIZE OTHER THIRD PARTIES FOR HAMPER PICK-UP/DELIVERY
We have maintained the feature that allows clients to validate their IDs virtually making it possible for any Third Party (family member, friends, volunteers, other delivery service etc) to pick-up the hamper for the household in a more timely, safe, and convenient manner. Find out more about this process.
Care Connect pick-up and deliveries can be organized as before and the scheduling of hampers is still up to the discretion of Care Connect. Find out more information about Care Connect.
Hamper distribution at satellite locations is currently OPEN to limited locations. We have implemented new protocols at all locations to ensure the safety of volunteers, staff, and clients. Hamper distribution at these locations DOES NOT follow a drive-thru model of distribution but social distancing protocols have been implemented.
This is still limited to select organizations. Please note there is a new depot code for this: VAN MC1 and continue to book van deliveries as before. Please do not hesitate to contact us using the agency line at 403-640-8810 with your questions.
For more information and to review the FAQ’s, please visit the Referral Agency COVID-19 page.
It is critical that we maintain food safety and social distancing protocols so we are maintaining our current order and pick-up model of food and supplies distribution. We continue to work with reduced staff, volunteers and resources, to keep our facility safe. The Calgary Food Bank continues to work with a limited number of agencies, primarily those with certified industrial kitchens and who are cooking for their clients.
If you have any questions, please contact the Food Link team at 403-253-2059 x 227 or x 230. For more information and to review the FAQ’s, please visit the Food Link COVID-19 page.
PLEASE CALL 403-253-2055
IMPORTANT: You must call ahead and book a hamper.